What does "being active" mean?
When the policy talks about encouraging activity, some may wonder what kinds of activities are meant. The activities that are important to Active Alberta will have some, or most of the following characteristics:
- inclusive of all Albertans, no matter their skill level, abilities, age, health, and interests;
- emphasize active living as an integrated part of Albertans' lives - part of our culture;
- include a wide range of physical activity involving moderate to strenuous levels of exertion such as walking, biking, taking the stairs at work and gardening;
- include participation in activities ranging from unstructured play through to athletic excellence;
- can be achieved in any setting, at any time of day, whether at work, home, school, in the neighbourhood, or elsewhere; and/or
- contribute to a sense of pride and belonging in the community.