2005 Natural Regions and Subregions of Alberta
Updated December 15, 2006
This dataset defines areas known as Natural Regions and Subregions of Alberta, allowing for the stratification of the province based on ecological criteria. This version is 2005 Final.
Major Changes From the 1994 Version
- Athabasca Plain Subregion has been moved into the Boreal Natural Region
- Boreal Highlands has now been split into Lower Boreal Highlands and Upper Boreal Highlands
- Wetland Mixedwood renamed Northern Mixedwood
- Peace River Lowlands renamed Peace-Athabasca Delta
- Significant boundary changes to several Subregions
Changes to the 1994 Natural Regions and Subregions are due both to better information and refined Subregion definitions.
This dataset should be used in conjunction with the related final report, Natural Regions and Subregions of Alberta 2006. An errata has been prepared to accompany the published report and the pdf, if downloaded prior to May 16 2006.
2005 Natural Regions and Subregions of Alberta Extended Legend (Large Format) (47 KB)
Adobe® Acrobat® PDF files can be viewed with Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software - a free download from www.adobe.com