Active Alberta Overview
Nominations are now closed for 2015
Active Alberta Vision
Albertans enjoy a high quality of life, improved health and wellness, strong communities, economic benefits and personal fulfillment through
recreation, active living and sport.
What is Being Active?
Activities that are key to Active Alberta are:
- Achievable in any setting - work, home, school, in the neighbourhood or elsewhere - and at any time of day.
- Contribute to a sense of pride and belonging in the community.
- Emphasize active living as an integrated part of our life and culture.
- Include all People no matter their skill level, abilities, age, health or interests.
- Include all Types ranging from unstructured participation to athletic excellence.
- Include a Range such as walking, biking, taking the stairs at work and gardening.
Benefits to Being Active
Active living, recreation and sport contribute to holistic benefits for:
- Physical, mental, social and spiritual health
- Overall well-being of Albertans
- Personal growth
- Self discovery
- Lifelong learning
Active opportunities respect and respond to the diverse needs and abilities of individuals, families and communities making Alberta more accessible and inclusive.
As such, there are numerous health, education, social, environmental, economic, and community development benefits associated with more Albertans becoming more active
more often. Go to Benefits Hub to explore the evidence and details of these benefits.
Learn more about the Active Alberta policy
Last reviewed/revised: August 5, 2015