Alberta Recreation Survey
2000 Alberta Recreation Survey
In Spring 2000, 2,719 Alberta households responded to 17 questions about recreational activities they took part in over the past 12 months. The 2000 Alberta Recreation Survey was the sixth such survey since 1981. Activities most frequently chosen by Albertans to keep their minds and bodies healthy and active include walking for pleasure; gardening; cultural activities such as visiting a museum or going to the theatre; doing a craft or hobby; attending sports events; bicycling; attending fairs and festivals; swimming; playing video, computer or electronic games; and overnight camping.
The 2000 Alberta Recreation Survey was a co-operative effort between Alberta Community Development, Alberta Environment, the Alberta Centre for Well-Being and the Cities of Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge and Red Deer. It is designed to determine participation rates in leisure and recreational activities, favorite activities, reasons for participating, barriers to participation, volunteer involvement, benefits of recreation, demographic information and more.
The results are summarized in the reports and A Look at Leisure bulletins below.
Adobe® Acrobat® PDF files can be viewed with Adobe® Acrobat® Reader software - a free download from Adobe Systems Incorporated.
- Alberta Results
- City of Calgary Results
- City of Edmonton Results
- City of Lethbridge Results
- City of Red Deer Results
Related A Look at Leisure Bulletins
- Look at Leisure #41 Favourite Activities
- Look at Leisure #42 Desired Activities and Barriers to Participation
- Look at Leisure #43 Voluntarism in the Recreation Sector
- Look at Leisure #44 Regional Recreation Patterns
- Look at Leisure #45 Facility-Based Pursuits
- Look at Leisure #46 Outdoor Pursuits
- Look at Leisure #47 The Road Well-Travelled and the Road Ahead
- Look at Leisure #48 Barriers to Participation - Trends and Demographic Influences
For More Information Contact
Recreation Services Branch
905 Standard Life Centre
10405 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5J 4R7
Phone: (780) 415-1164
Fax: (780) 427-5140
Dial 310-0000 anywhere in Alberta to call toll free.