Visitors today access information through multiple channels along their path to purchase. In-destination, many visitors seek the knowledge of a travel counsellor to help
find their way to attractions and amenities, and for insights on hidden gems, current festivals, and must-experience attractions.
The Tourism Division works with visitor information centres (VICs) across Alberta and at gateways to the province to ensure visitors to Alberta receive accurate, friendly trip
planning advice from trained travel counsellors.
We help VIC providers:
- Connect with a network of community and regional visitor information centres through the
Alberta Visitor Information Providers Program.
- Deliver quality visitor services at rubber-tire gateways to the province with contracts to operate Provincial Visitor Information Centres.
- Access training opportunities for front-line travel counsellors and VIC managers.
- Receive recognition for excellence in visitor information services through the Ammy Awards.
- Order official provincial trip planning material and brochures from the provincial distribution centre.
We help tourism operators:
- Arrange product presentations to 1-800-ALBERTA call centre agents.
- Facilitate the distribution of publications to the provincial and AVIP network. For information brochure distribution, download the
Travel Publication Distribution Policy.
- Provide opportunity for tourism operators to present products, experiences or destinations to VIC travel counsellors at the two-day
Spring Training & Showcase.
We help visitors:
- Receive quality travel information, routing suggestions, and attraction and event ideas at VICs across Alberta.
- Access online travel information and services through Travel Alberta.
- Access trip planning services from the provincial 1-800-ALBERTA call centre.
- Receive provincial trip planning material and brochures from the provincial distribution centre.
For more information, contact the Destination Development & Visitor Services Branch.
Last reviewed/revised: May 13, 2016